Wednesday, April 24, 2019

At The Border

On April 22nd, I decided to go to the border just to see what if anything was going on. So here is what I saw that day in a one hour period. Below is the areas I took pictures from.



I first stopped at La Lomita Mission. A historical chapel built in 1863 by the Oblate priests. My father used to take me there as a boy. One of the first things I noticed was the abundance of border patrol vehicles in the area and only a few visitors. The chapel sits approximately 100 yards from the Rio Grande River where many illegal crossings take place. Fortunately, there has not been much damage or vandalism caused by the aliens crossing the river at this point.




By The way, If the proposed new border wall is erected, the wall will leave the chapel on the other side of the wall leaving it vulnerable to damage by aliens, vandalism, and ruin.

Just to the north of the chapel, about 50 yards, sits the legendary Pepe's on the River dance place, restaurant, and party hangout for the locals. The patio literally sits over the Rio Grande River. It was severely damaged by floods a few years ago and now sometimes used by coyotes as a staging point for transporting aliens into Mission. I noticed there is now an observation sky-box next to it for observing activity in Mexico.



About 10 years ago, I was at Pepe's for a cookout and dance. We heard gunshots on the Mexico side then a small inflatable boat flying down the river followed by a speeding Border Patrol boat hot on it's tail. The music continued as people ran to the deck to watch. No more as sometimes those bullets are directed at the US side.

I continued down the road and saw a border patrol agent parked alongside the road. I stopped to ask him a few questions about recent activity. He confirmed that the apprehension numbers are definitely rising at a "scary pace" as he put it. He also said that about 90 to 95% of immigrants detained are coming from countries other than Mexico including Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritria, China, and other countries. As we were talking, I noticed he locked in to the treeline behind me and we both saw a group of about five people rushing along the treeline. He flipped on his overheads and left in a hurry leaving me standing in a cloud of dust. Go gittum!


I left and headed towards Granjeno on FM 494 to head home. I stopped under the Anzalduas bridge where I remember many aliens being caught sneaking under the bridge. I noticed concertina wire had been put up on the fence by the Army.


All in all, not much activity but in all fairness, I was only in the area from 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM. Most activity in the area takes place very early in the morning and all night long yet I witnessed a group of about five making a run for it. I will continue to visit the border and post my observations as they are, not like a reporter from New York who is only here a few hours and reports his opinion as fact.

eModicus

No comments:

Post a Comment